Each team member is assigned one (1) 50 lb. bag with medical supplies for free check-in, and is allowed one (1) personal bag (size fitting airline requirements) and backpack* for carry-on. Remember NO sharp objects are allowed and liquids must comply with regulations and be in a Ziplock bag in carry-ons. Check-in of a personal bag is at the expense of the individual.
*Dame-Marie Team Member – Backpack should include water bottle / snacks / small lunch for bus ride and a change of clothes, personal medications, and toiletries for overnight stay enroute to Dame-Marie. Access to personal bag is very inconvenient enroute.
Additional packing information for health and safety can be found on CDC Travelers’ Health.
- MATH mission shirt (worn during travel portion) / Badge
- Shirts – 3 to 4 tee or polo
- Pants / shorts – 2 pairs (Zip-off pants are convenient)
- Skirt / skort / sundress (Women’s option)
- Comfortable /casual outfit for last night celebration
- Underwear and socks
- Shoes – 1 pair closed-toed (sneakers or clogs)
- Sandals – 1 pair (flip-flop, Tevas, etc.) / 1 pair for shower
- Jacket / sweater – Lightweight / fleece / rainwear
- Sun hat or cap
- Soap / shampoo
- Razors / shave cream
- Toothbrush / toothpaste / mouthwash
- Listerine – used for rinsing toothbrush
- Comb / brush
- Sunscreen / sunblock
- Bug repellent – DEET or equivalent effectiveness
- Hand sanitizer
- Baby wipes – Personal use and as toilet paper enroute
- Personal prescription medications in original bottles
- Malaria prophylaxis (personal option)
- OTC medications (Tylenol / Motrin / Aleve / Tums / etc.)
- Anti-diarrheal / Anti-nausea
- Personal first aid kit3
- Ear plugs (optional – dormitory sleeping arrangements)
- Eyeglasses / contact lenses and spare set / sunglasses
- Airline ticket (paper or e-ticket)
- Passport (original with photocopy in separate bags)
- Driver’s license
- Cash (small, like-new bills) for handcrafts shopping
- Charge Card (Notify company of overseas travel dates)
- Phone (International use required)
Tools of Your Trade
- Scrubs – 3 to 4 pairs
- Tools of Your Trade
Odds & Ends
- Water bottle – 1 or 2 (check out LifeStraw)
- Comfort food (non-melting) – nuts, jerky, dried fruit, etc.
- LED light – small
- Music / video / headset electronics
- Extra batteries (may not be allowed as carry-on)
- Towels – face and bath
- Travel pillow / blanket (personal option)
- Lightweight sleeping sheets / pillowcase (personal option4)
- Mosquito netting (personal option)
- Journal or notepad and pen
- Playing cards
- Small plastic bags for laundry / garbage
1 Laundry may be available.
2 Compression bags can provide more space inside personal bag.
3 A team backpack with emergency items (fluids, etc.) is available.
4 Bed linens are available at DM residence house / hotels.